Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Blackmer Update

I just got a promotion at work! One of my co-workers just had a baby and we all thought that she was coming back, but she was just too in love with her baby to come back to work full-time. So we basically took my position and her position and meshed them together. (If you think that that makes more work for me, you're right!) Now I am the Program Coordinator at the English Skills Learning Center. I train and supervise volunteers that teach English to adult refugees and immigrants here in Salt Lake County. We do a lot of classes all over the valley, and we also do one-on-one matches with tutors and students. We serve those who can't attend traditional English classes for one of many reasons: a) they don't have the funds to pay for it, b) they don't have transportation to get to classes c) their English is so low that they would be completely lost in a traditional class or often d) they have children or sick relatives that they need to care for, so they can't leave the home for English classes.
The people that I work with are amazing (the tutors, students, and my co-workers), and I love what I do. I'm happy to be serving people and getting paid to do it!

1 comment: